Ricky and I have been in a long distance relationship since our relationship started (with him in Korea and me in Singapore), but we’ve recently discovered new ways to keep our relationship popping with virtual dates. Hope that these platforms and ideas help you in your own long distance dating (or otherwise).
Strangely before Covid-19, we never watched movies/shows together when we were apart. We watched heaps together, but not when we were in different countries.
Ricky and I tried Netflix Party (a free Google Chrome plug-in), but it didn’t work for us. With Netflix Party, both users need to have a Netflix account, and both countries need to have the show/movie available. We ran into problems here because some things were available in Singapore, but not Korea, and vice versa. Netflix party works well if both people live in the same country, though, and I do have Netflix parties weekly with some girlfriends of mine in Singapore!
Ricky and I then discovered Kast, and we’ve loved it!! Kast is a platform that allows you to share screens as well as computer audio, and you have the option to video call, as well. The computer audio is extremely clear without an echo or lag! This has been the best calling feature that we’ve used and I’d recommend it to anyone who’s doing the whole long distance dating thang! We use Kast to watch movies/shows together, and to do puzzles/games together. They have a free version, which has worked great for us. But there is also a paid version with more features and options!
Virtual escape rooms! Ricky and I have absolutely been loving virtual escape rooms. We love solving riddles and math problems, so this is perfect for us.
We recommend using this free site: Neutral
You’ll need to designate one person as the “clicker” and have control of the navigation. You must work as a team! Our thoughts:
SIGN (Level 1): this was the very first escape room that we did together (it was Ricky’s first one EVER!) and we completed it in just under 2.5 hours. We got stuck at one part for a good 45 mins.
I have some friends/fam who tried this level… their results:
1. Attempted the escape room solo and gave up
2. Made an attempt as a couple, but gave up after 1.5 hours
3. Played as a couple and completed it in 4 hours, but cheated and used Google
4. Took on the challenge as a mother-daughter duo (my 13 year old godsister is a genius) and completed it in 1 hour and 56 minutes!
The best advice that we can give: keep it simple!!! Don’t overthink things.
VISION (Level 3): we completed this one in less than 2 hours. I think we got the hang of things after SIGN.
ELEMENTS (Level 4): holy fudge balls. That was next level!! It felt like it was never-ending! This one was super complicated. At various points, I wanted to quit/cry. I even had to take some breaks for snacks because my brain was hurting. But we persevered!! And it paid off! We completed it! I’m slightly embarrassed to admit this, but it took us SIX HOURS to complete. I later learned that it took the author three years to develop this game! Wow. And to offer it to us for free? Incredible.
1. Don’t do this alone! It’s much better with a partner, whether it be your bf/gf or a friend/family member! It’s more fun with a friend, plus you can encourage each other when you’re about to quit.
2. Stay well hydrated and have healthy snacks available when you need a break/brain food!
3. This takes really clear communication if you’re doing it with someone online via Kast (or other screen sharing platform). Be as patient as you can with each other. Also, choose your navigator wisely because you can’t switch!
4. Use a notebook and pen! Write down clues and things you need to solve (ie. 3 number code, key for cabinet, password for computer, etc.)
If you do any of the above escape rooms, please leave a comment and let us know how it goes!! Would love to hear your time and any struggles you faced! ◡̈ Good luck and have so much fun! ◡̈
What do you and your partner like to do when you’re long distance dating?
Leave a comment below and let me know! xx
Thanks for the great tips! We’re definitely going to visit Neutral and enjoy some family time.
I’m so glad that you guys are enjoying it!! ◡̈ I can’t wait to hear about your Level 4 time! xx